Kiffin Still Making Moves
All has been quiet over the past week as we have waited in anticipation for any more news concerning the super-staff Lane Kiffin is putting together.
Well, eager fans, wait no more.
News is that Coach Kiffin is going after Duke assistant Ron Middleton (say what? Not an NFL guy?). It’s being reported over at mrsec.com that Middleton has been offered a three year contract with annual raises to join the growing Tennessee staff.
Middleton was an assistant coach with Tampa Bay Bucs from 2004-2006, where he worked closely with newly hired defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. He’s also served stints at Troy (’97-’98), Ole Miss (’99-’03), and Alabama (’07) before joining the staff at Duke in 2008. Over the course of his coaching career, Middleton has focused mainly on coaching special teams as well as tight ends. Other positions he’s coached include running backs and offensive tackles.
Word is that Middleton has yet to decide on whether or not to accept Tennessee’s offer. There’s also no timetable for when a decision might come.
I’ll do my best to keep you all posted.
Other news and notes:
- It looks like there might be just a single holdover from the Fulmer era on Kiffin’s new staff, running backs coach Stan Drayton, who has been an integral part of Kiffin’s recruiting since he took over the head coaching position.
- Coach Fulmer seems to be moving on, and trying to figure out what next to do with his life.
- Not exactly Tennessee news, but you can’t help but grin when Spurrier is getting dogged. After withdrawing a scholarship offer from a USC recruit, the Gamecocks are no longer allowed to recruit any more players from Tucker High, according to their coach Franklin Stephens.
- In recruiting news, it looks like JerQuari Schofield is giving serious consideration to Clemson after visiting there this past weekend. Better news from Aubrey Phillips, who maintains that he is still committed to UT after visiting the Razorbacks this weekend.
- LSU commitment Janzen Jackson, a five-star cornerback out of Louisiana, visited Knoxville this past weekend, but what he saw wasn’t enough to switch him over to Tennessee. Janzen’s father is interviewing for a position on UT’s staff this week, and I’m sure the final decision will weigh heavily on Jackson’s future with the Vols.
- The top priority for Kiffin’s ’09 class, Marlon Brown, has shortened his list of schools from five to four, with LSU becoming the latest casualty in the fight for one of the hottest WR prospects in the nation. Most people believe Brown is down to Tennessee or Georgia. However, Brown still states that UT, Georgia, Florida, and Ohio St. are all equals at this point in the process.